Today I feel like a high school junior for the first time.
I'm taking the SAT today. It's a very weird feeling. I remember when my brother took it (5 times, might I add), when I was in sixth grade. Sixth. And now I'm in his shoes, five years later, going to take my big girl test to truly start the college process. It's terrifying and thrilling and exciting all at the same time, but I also have to remind myself that it's just a test, and I still have many opportunities to improve and that this is just one Saturday out of the 52 I get in 2012 and every little thing is going to be all right.
Junior Year just keeps getting better and better.
Anyone else out there taking it today? Good luck to all who are!
Little did I know two years later where this little blog would be today. It's been a wild ride, and thanks to my readers for sticking with me!
I also have a little exciting news for y'all! Last night I was interviewed for a piece on teenage bloggers in the New York Times! It will run online on Friday and will be in print on Sunday! It's the perfect birthday present for the YSP!
I first heard this song a few weeks ago, and I'm not going to lie, I started sobbing. I love Eric Church, firstly. Springsteen, Love Your Love The Most, Carolina, My Heart's Got A Memory, anyone? But it really got me thinking about all the places I've gone with my boots, and where they've taken me in my life.
I get emotionally attached to some of my things. There, I said it.
A wise woman, because I really don't know who, once said:
“I love things.
Not just because they’re beautiful or chic or pretty, but because they’re a distraction.
I love them because they will never leave me.
My fur won’t get up and leave me one day.
My pearls won’t choose another neck over mine.
My cashmere won’t decide it doesn’t love me anymore.
I confess, I love things because I trust them more than I trust people.
That, and because they also make my life a little more fabulous.”
This could not describe my life more accurately. My cowboy boots make my life a lot more fabulous. They're a connection to Texas, one of my favorite spots in the world, they've taken me to Dallas, Beijing, Georgetown, Richmond, West Virginia, Charlotte and many more places. They make yoga pants look amazing, and can dress down a three hundred dollar Lilly frock just as easily. They were never anything special that I picked out, they were just the most comfortable and the cutest ones they had in my size at Cavenders. We would begin our love/hate relationship of getting said boots off that night, before I learned to invest a good boot pull. Two hurt muscles in the back of my knees and $8.95 later, after arguing with my Mother about just why I should be able to get the hunting printed boot pull, but settling for the plain black, my boots and I were off into the world together.
They're looking a little rough these days, with two frayed toes, one broken seam, but they're still my boots all the same. They've aged nicely, and they're not going anywhere anytime soon. I mean let's face it, I'll wear these under my long white dress next year when I graduate, maybe when I graduate college, and even when I get married. Like many "first" things, I think you always remember one special first thing. For me, it's my Size 9.5 Tan Dan Post Boots.
I do have my eye on another pair however...
What can I say?
These boots are the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen. And they might just be made for walkin'.
2. Post eleven fun facts about yourself on the blog post.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in the post, and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you've tagged.
4. Tag eleven people and link them on your post.
5. Let them know you've tagged them!
11 Fun Facts About Me!
1. I never met chips and queso that I didn't like
2. I love leopard/tortoiseshell print
3. Partially because it matches my weird natural hair color
4. Partially because it's pretty
5. I try to monogram everything
6. I really like to practice drawing letters when I'm bored
7. Pinterest is my addiction
8. I drink Diet Coke on the way to school every morning
9. I'm a Sweet Tea snob
10. I'm way more comfortable in cowboy boots than heels
11. I love to get dressed up and wear pretty dresses and jewelry more than anything!
11 Questions - 11 Answers
1. Favorite de-stresser?
Yoga and singing obnoxiously in my car.
2. Diet Coke or tea? Early bird or night owl? Soup or salad? Milk or dark chocolate? E-books or real books? Hair up or down? Water or snow?
Both. Night Owl. Salad. Milk. Real. Down. Water!
Wow that’s a weird looking sentence/line.
3. What is your favorite time of the day/day of the week/month of the year?
Although I don't have many of them, I love the early morning, As evidenced my my overuse of the lyrics consisting mainly of the word, 'Friday', Friday is my favorite day of the week.
There isn't one specific month that I like. They're all special and wonderful. Except February and March. Awful. Just awful.
4. What is the #1 most played song on your iPod?
The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco. What up Sophomore Year.
5. Do you plan out your blog posts or is it spontaneous?
Plan, but sometimes I like to get stressed and angsty at 3 in the morning and write a new post for the day.
6. Are you and your friends like twins or polar opposites?
Some I'm twins with (HEB and VHB y'all know!) but most of my friends I couldn't be more different.
7. When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
Check all of my social media. This usually turns into two hours of free time.
8. If you could offer a new blogger one piece of advice what would it be?
Stick with it, keep writing, and comment!
9. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldii, Princess of Genovia
So as y'all know, I attended the Winter Mission Training Workshop for Operation Smile this past weekend. Sunday night, we gathered for a small soiree to find out our mission dates, places, and partners!
Emily from The Wide World of E and I were trained together and we finally got our bloggers picture! Go check her out y'all - she's the sweetest thing and I love her blog!
Now for the biggest news, if you haven't seen it on Facebook or Twitter,
In the last two weeks of April, I will be traveling to...
I am still in great shock and I am thrilled that I will be traveling to such a fascinating country! I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it will all be worth it in the end!